The Equal Marriage Bill comes to parliament for its second reading with a free vote for MP's on whether it proceeds to the next stage. All the calculations show that the vote will be 'Yes' but that hasn't stopped those who are vehemently opposed to same-sex marriage fighting to stop it.
In this blog, I have written on this numerous times, so rather than we-write something which is not new, I thought it would be better if I simply created a list of the most appropriate posts.
Here we go...
- Can you change marriage? - takes a brief look at the history of marriage
- Same-sex marriage - who will it really hurt? - considers the wild claims of some of the opposition
- Where the Patriarchs really married? - looks at the assertion that a Biblical marriage can only be one man/one woman.
- Towards a theology of gay marriage - is a gentle look at a Biblical approach for extending marriage to same-sex couples.
- God, marriage and the State - looks at the ways in which Governments have changed marriage over successive generations including legislation on prohibited relationships and inter-racial marriage.